Biofine® P19 is a refined isinglass collagen which has superior dissolution properties. The active ingredient in isinglass is a protein called collagen, a triple helical coil with many sites of positive charge. It is a large molecule which will attract the much smaller negatively charged yeast, etc., and they will precipitate out.
When dissolved in water and added to the beer it causes yeast and suspended proteins to settle rapidly. At higher dosage rates filtration may not be necessary. Optimum addition would occur into the beer in the transfer to the aging tank for good dispersion. However, treatment may be made directly into the aging vessel with a CO2 purge going. A minimum sediment period of no less than 24 hours.
P19 Solution: 5g P19 : 1L H?O
P19 Solution Application Rate: Determined by trials.
Suggested Application Range: 300-700 mL : 1hL (15-35ppm)
Method of Aplication
- To prepare a standard finings solution, stir 1 kg of BIOFINE into 200 litres of water at less than 10°C, with a high shear mixer. Continue stirring the solution for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Solution can then be used immediately.
- If a high shear stirrer is not available, stir or recirculate with a pump for 1 hour, allow to stand for 1 – 2 hours then stir or recirculate for a further hour. Avoid temperatures in excess of 15°C.
- This solution can be added immediately at a dose rate of 300 – 700 ml. per hectolitre of beer (15 – 35ppm). The optimum fining effect can be determined by varying the dose rate within this range in individual plant trials. The finings solution must be added to the beer tank in a manner which allows effective mixing with the beer. Metering into the rough beer stream as it enters the storage tank has been demonstrated to produce highly satisfactory results.
- Alternatively the finings contained in a stainless steel cask can be forced into the tank under CO2 pressure via the sample cock throughout the filling of the storage tank.
More information can be found here.