London is a true English ale strain selected for reliable fermentation performance and moderate ester production that lets the flavors and aromas of malt and hops shine through. London was selected from the Lallemand Yeast Culture Collection, and is an excellent choice not only for brewing Extra Special Bitter but for other authentic heritage UK styles like Pale Ale, Bitter and Mild. London may also be used in the production of Ciders.
In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) London yeast exhibits:
- Vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 3 days.
- Medium attenuation and Low flocculation.
- Neutral to slightly fruity and estery flavor and aroma, allowing malt aromas and flavors to shine through.
- The optimal temperature range for London yeast when producing traditional styles is 18°C(65°F) to 22°C(72°F).
- London does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose units). Maltotriose comprises an average of 10-15% of total sugar in all-malt worts. The result will be fuller body and residual sweetness in the beer. Be advised to adjust gravities and mash temperatures according to desired result.
Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort
Data Sheet: London English-Style Ale Yeast